Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/mikid406/public_html/wp-content/plugins/user-specific-content/User-Specific-Content.php on line 373
SafeTALK – Most people with thoughts of suicide don’t truly want to die but are struggling with the pain in their lives Through their words and actions, they invite help to stay alive. safeTALK teaches participants to recognize these invitations, engage with the person with thoughts of suicide, and connect them with resources to help them be safer from suicide. safeTALK is a 4-hour suicide alertness training for everyone where the discussion of creating a suicide-safer community with incorporating how to identify people with thoughts of suicide and connecting them to suicide first aid resources using the TALK steps.
Suicide Prevention 101
Suicide Prevention 101 is a 90-minute presentation that offers a basic look at this sensitive but important topic. There is a stigma attached to suicide and mental illness therefore, many people unnecessarily suffer in silence. Majority of those who have died by suicide have had a treatable mental illness; depression. The more we can talk about this “taboo” subject and learn to recognize the warning signs, we are able to encourage others to feel confident enough to reach out and directly ask “Are you having thoughts of suicide?” In this presentation, we will discuss the warning signs and risk factors associated to suicide and how we can play a role in its prevention.
This Presentation Covers:
• Sadness vs. Depression
• Warning Signs
• Risk Factors
• And much more!
The program highlights the relationship between depression and suicide, teaching that most often suicide is a fatal response to a treatable disorder- depression. It incorporates peer-to-peer intervention as the model of its implementation strategy by training students to recognize the signs of depression and suicidality, and empowering them to intervene when confronted with a friend who is exhibiting these symptoms.
- Suicide rates have sharply increased by nearly 25% in the last two decades
- Suicide now claims more lives than automobile accidents each year
- In the U.S., suiciderates are highest during the spring.
- Suicideis the 3rd leading cause of death for 15 to 24-year-olds and 2nd for 24 to 35-year-olds.
- Suicide is the 10thleading cause of death in the US for all ages. (CDC)
- Every day, approximately 123 Americans die by suicide. (CDC)
- There is one deathby suicide in the US every 12 minutes. (CDC)
- Suicide takes the livesof over 44,965 Americans every year. (CDC)
- The highestsuicide rates in the US are among Whites, American Indians and Alaska Natives.
- There is one suicidefor every estimated 25 suicide attempts. (CDC)
- There is one suicidefor every estimated 4 suicide attempts in the elderly. (CDC)